BetterLesson Platform Privacy Notice
August 25, 2014
Welcome to BetterLesson, a content management and collaboration platform consisting of websites, services, software applications and networks that allows for the authorized download and distribution of written digital content over the internet (the “BetterLesson Platform”). The BetterLesson Platform is owned and operated by BetterLesson, Inc.
BetterLesson values the privacy of the users, subscribers, publishers, members, and others who visit and use the BetterLesson Platform (collectively or individually, “you”, “’You” or “Users”).
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- The Information BetterLesson Collects
- The Way BetterLesson Uses Information
- When BetterLesson Discloses Information
- Your Choices
- Data Security
- Children’s Privacy
- International Visitors
- In the Event of Merger or Sale
- Changes and Updates to this Privacy Notice
- Effective Date, Date Last Modified
- BetterLesson Contact Information
The Information BetterLesson Collects:
- User-provided Information: You may provide to BetterLesson what is generally called ‘personally identifiable’ information (such as your name, email address, postal mailing address, home/mobile telephone number) if you log in to the BetterLesson Platform, or otherwise use the features and functionality of the BetterLesson Platform.
- ‘Cookies’ Information: When you access the BetterLesson Platform, we may send one or more cookies & small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters to your computer. BetterLesson may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the BetterLesson Platform. Persistent cookies can be removed. Please review your web browser ‘Help’ file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. BetterLesson does not respond to “Do Not Track” signals.
- ‘Automatically Collected’ Information: When you access the BetterLesson Platform or open one of our HTML emails, we may automatically record certain information from your system by using different types of tracking technology. This ‘automatically collected’ information may include Internet Protocol address (‘IP Address’), a unique device or user ID, version of software installed, system type, the content and pages that you access on the BetterLesson Platform, and the dates and times that you visit the BetterLesson Platform.
The Way BetterLesson Uses Information:
- BetterLesson uses the information that you provide or that we collect to operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features and services found on the BetterLesson Platform as well as to track user-generated content and Users to the extent necessary to comply as a service provider with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- We will use your email address, without further consent, for administrative communications such as notifying you of major BetterLesson Platform updates, for customer service purposes, to address copyright infringement or defamation issues, or to contact you regarding any content that you have posted to or downloaded from the BetterLesson Platform.
- BetterLesson uses all of the information that we collect to understand the usage trends and preferences of our Users, to improve the way the BetterLesson Platform works and looks, and to create new features and functionality.
- BetterLesson may use ‘Automatically Collected’ information and ‘Cookies’ information to: (a) automatically update the BetterLesson application on your system; (b) remember your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you access the BetterLesson Platform; (c) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages accessed; (d) provide such metrics to Users as they pertain to such User’s uploaded content; and (e) track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities.
When BetterLesson Discloses Information:
- BetterLesson does not share your personally identifiable information with other organizations for their marketing or promotional uses without your prior express consent, provided however that, BetterLesson may share your personally identifiable information with (i) third-party entities or organizations for data analysis and BetterLesson may share, or authorize such third party entities or organizations to share, the results of such analysis with valued partners under obligations of confidentiality, and (ii) a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of BetterLesson, Inc.’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by BetterLesson, Inc. about our Users is among the assets transferred. Please be aware, that any personally identifiable information that you voluntarily choose to display on the BetterLesson Platform such as when you publish attribution credits for documents or profile information becomes publicly available and may be collected and used by others without restriction.
- We may disclose User information to affiliated companies or other businesses or persons to provide web site hosting, maintenance, and security services; fulfill orders; conduct data analysis and create reports; offer certain functionality, and assist BetterLesson in improving the BetterLesson Platform and creating new services features. We require that these parties process such information in compliance with this Privacy Notice, we authorize only a limited use of such information, and we require these parties to use reasonable confidentiality measures.
- BetterLesson may disclose User information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright law) or respond to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena, or warrant in the manner required by the requesting entity.
- BetterLesson also reserves the right to disclose User information that we believe, in good [faith, is appropriate or necessary: to take precautions against liability; to protect BetterLesson from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses; to investigate and defend ourselves against third-party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to protect the security or integrity of the BetterLesson Platform; or to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of BetterLesson, our Users, or others.
- BetterLesson shows aggregate geographical information about visitors on BetterLesson document pages in our analytics section. This information includes the cities and countries of people viewing documents, the document which was viewed, and the time the document was viewed. This information is publicly available to all BetterLesson users. If you do not want this geographical information recorded and displayed in this way, you can prevent BetterLesson from doing so by following these steps. First, create a BetterLesson account. Then, in account settings, select “Hide all geographical information.”
You may, of course, decline to share your personally-identifiable information with BetterLesson, in which case BetterLesson will not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality found on the BetterLesson Platform. You may update, correct, or delete your user information and preferences at any time by following the directions here.
To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you account access or making corrections to your information. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information at all times.
Our Commitment to Data Security:
BetterLesson uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to BetterLesson, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, BetterLesson makes commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If BetterLesson learns of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. BetterLesson may post a notice on the BetterLesson Platform if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive a free written notice of a security breach you should notify us at email@example.com.
Our Commitment to Children’s Privacy:
If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access THE BETTERLESSON PLATFORM at any time or in any manner.
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, BetterLesson does not knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information from persons under 13 years-of-age. If BetterLesson learns that personally-identifiable information of persons less than 13-years-of-age has been collected on or through the BetterLesson Platform, then BetterLesson will take the appropriate steps to delete this information.
If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child under 13 who has become BetterLesson Platform member, then please contact BetterLesson at privacy@BetterLesson.com to have that child’s account terminated and information deleted.
The following are some resources that may help parents and legal guardians in monitoring and limit your children’s access to certain types of material on the Internet. While BetterLesson does not endorse these products, we provide information about them as a public service to our community.
- ‘OnGuard Online’, maintained by the Federal Trade Commission.
- The Child Safety Network
- Control Kids
- Cyber Sitter
- Net Nanny
For Users visiting the BetterLesson Platform from the European Economic Area or other non-U.S. territories, please note that any data you enter into the BetterLessonPlatform will be transferred outside the European Economic Area or such other non-U.S. territory for use by BetterLesson and its affiliates for any of the purposes described herein. In addition, because BetterLesson operates globally, we may make information we gather available to worldwide business units and affiliates. By providing any data on the BetterLesson Platform, you hereby expressly consent to such transfers of your data to the United States or other countries.
In the Event of Merger or Sale:
In the event that BetterLesson is acquired by or merged with a third-party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information that we have collected from Users as part of that merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control.
Changes and Updates to this Privacy Notice:
This Privacy Notice may be revised periodically without further notice to you and this will be reflected by a ‘last modified’ date below. Please revisit this page to stay aware of any changes. In general, we only use your personal information in the manner described in the Privacy Notice in effect when we received that personal information. Your continued use of the BetterLesson Platform constitutes your agreement to this Privacy Notice and any future revisions.
BetterLesson Contact Information:
Please contact BetterLesson with any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, your personal information, and our third-party disclosure practices or your consent choices at: BetterLesson, 84 Sherman st. 02140, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your inquiry within 30 days of its receipt.